The Challenger

The Student News Site of Troy High School

The Challenger

The Challenger

Review of the University of New England From a Marine Science Perspective

University of New England (UNE) is located in Biddeford, Maine.  The campus is located right on the Saco River which leads right out to the Gulf of Maine.  The campus is open but not overwhelmingly big and lectures will have 30 people max.  All of the walking paths on campus have Blue Light Security systems for safety as well as 24/7 call lines where someone will remain on the phone with you while you walk to where you need to be.  There are many 24 hour buildings around campus as well as open lecture halls students have access to.  There are also many facilities that the students can use during their time there such as an ice rink, two workout rooms, two gymnasiums, and a pool. 

The Arthur P. Girard Marine Science Center is the primary location for a student studying marine science.  There are two paths for a marine science student to take; the marine biology track, and the oceanography track.  There is a lab and classroom in the building as well as many tanks that are filled with organisms that were collected by the students.  There are a few permanent residents that include different colored and split colored lobsters.  Students will be on a boat by their first year and have the ability to study in the field freshman year.  

Unlike an animal mascot that is more common for colleges, UNEs mascot is the Nor’easter.  The beloved mascot of UNE is a powerful winter storm.  Even though their mascot might be a devastating force of nature, UNE is not.  The college is very involved with the environment around them and takes care of the land they are on.  Students in different majors study and take care of the woodlands that surround the school.  These students create paths that are available for other students to take walks through.  The environment as well as all the animals that inhabit it are treated with respect.

The University of New England is a great school if you enjoy the cool Maine weather or even just like being on the Gulf of Maine.  Their marine science program is very nice and freshmen have the opportunity to be able to work in the field instead of having to wait until being an upperclassmen.  The campus is lovely and the safety of students is a priority.  If you are interested in marine science, I do recommend checking this school out.  If not but you still enjoy the school, look to see other programs they offer!